Wednesday, January 9, 2008

SUU Idol

There I was standing up on a stage with a room full of people watching me, and I had no idea what I had been thinking when I signed that paper.


Whether or not you were aware of it, as a part of Welcome Back Week there is a competition going on by the name of SUU Idol. Basically, what happened is that anyone could sign up for an audition, and then you would compete for a spot in the final six. I was there with my friend Laura, who was doing a photography assignment for the University Journal, and supporting my friend Rachel when she performed when it struck me: I could get up and sing something.


One problem. I had nothing prepared. My mind instantly went into a scramble as I tried to figure out what on Earth I would sing, and then Laura leaned over and told me to just get up and sing “Amazing Grace.” With that it was decided. Taking a deep breath I snuck back to the table and signed up for the competition. The girl smiled and handed me a paper with my number on it, and my fate was sealed. There was no backing out. I was doomed.


Almost instantly my upset stomach—the plague for the past week—began acting up again, and I disappeared for the next few minutes in hopes of dealing with that. When I walked out they were three people away from me, and with a nervous sigh I took my seat in the front row. Before I knew it I was up on stage introducing myself to the four judges with a nervous grin. I've never been so embarrassed before in my life, but I was determined to persevere. Taking a deep breath I opened my mouth and began to sing.


For the next minute or so all eyes were on me as I sang the one verse, and it was quiet enough you could hear a pin drop. I was worried that I had botched it. When I was finished the judges gave their critiques, and one of them just...hit me. Isaac, the Simon of the competition, said that my rendition made him want to believe in something. That is the highest form of compliment possible, and I was grinning like an idiot when I got off stage.


I didn't get sent on to the next round, for one reason or another, and I'm okay with that. I was just glad that I at least tried, and that I was able to do so well with no preparation. That kind of opportunity is just one of the many wonderful things that have happened to me here at SUU, and I am so glad I decided to come here. This is where I belong.


Now it is your turn. Go out there, take risks, and get involved. You never know what could happen, but you should at least try.

No comments: