Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Do Unto Others

I have never been the sort of person to shy away from difficult topics. In fact, I am often one of the first people to jump into the discussion and offer my thoughts. Many times, I do this in order to make my position clear, to avoid being misunderstood. Life, in so many ways, is a series of mixed signals that eventually work out into sense; I prefer to get to the sense sooner rather than later. Today, though, I have been hesitant to express my feelings on the latest debate to tear its way across the country. I have friends on both sides of the conflict - people I respect and love. At the same time, though, I realize I have a duty to speak up. If I remain silent, I feel as though my stance could be misunderstood.

I am a devout member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints, which you might better know as the Mormon church. The leadership of my church released the following statement concerning the Human Right's Campaign's petition and same sex marriage:



I sustain and support my church leaders. I sustain and support the teachings of the church. I do not support same sex marriage nor do I support extramarital sex. The Lord has dictated that marriage is between a man and a woman, and I agree with that. These beliefs, however, do not mean that I devalue my friends who chose the homosexual lifestyle. Many of my homosexual friends are wonderful people who lead good lives. I believe, though, that their choices place them in opposition with the dictates of our Heavenly Father. I feel the same way about my friends who drink, do drugs, or participate in heterosexual extramarital sex. Sin is sin. Hopefully my friends and family will be able to respect my opinion and understand that it comes from a place of deep reflection, consideration, and compassion. My beliefs do not mean that I love you any less - quite the other way around, actually.

1 comment:

Lydia said...

Amen sister! I hope you are doing well and enjoying life. We miss you!