Thursday, September 6, 2007

A Random Discourse on Theater

So I have decided to, once in a while, present my thoughts on a specific topic to you all. The excitement is unbearable, I know. Now I present to you my first discourse, which is on theater, that is largely due to my Survey of Theater class.

And before you ask: No, I haven't edited yet. Yes, I will be before I turn it in. Yes, you can leave your own opinions. No, I will not get angry with you.

~~~

Theater is a magical place, and I have been lucky enough to experience both the art of being on stage and the world that is created when one is in the audience. This variety of experience lends me something of a reaction to the information found in Theater: The Lively Art and the quote by Ms. Ditor, and that reaction is that I somewhat disagree with Rachel Ditor's opinion that the question of what will next happen is the basis of the performer/audience relationship.


But, one may ask, why do I think so? It isn't necessarily the asking what is going to happen next, but caring about the character that is being presented on stage. If one were to sit through a performance of Taming of the Shrew they could easily wonder what was going to happen next as Kate and Petruchio argued in the second act without caring a wit about the actual performance. To truly create the dynamic chemistry between the audience and the performer the actor or actress must make them care about the story and make it vital for them to know what happens next. Taking our earlier situation from Taming of the Shrew, if the actor has done their job of making a believable Kate or a frustrating Petruchio then the audience will not just simply care what happens next (so they know when the end is coming) but they will begin to feel things for the characters.


It is more than a question of what when it comes to the magic of theater, but the ultimate chemistry of the who in theater. Theater can happen without making an audience feel, but when it does that is the greatest magic of all: the magic of true creation.

~~~

P. S. Ugh...I will edit in the morning. Must...fix...stupidity.

No comments: