Sunday, May 5, 2013

Ichthyosis: Oceanic Misadventures

Living with my skin disorder can be a bit exciting, particularly when I go on vacation. This past week, for instance, my dad and my friend Kylie went with me down to the Gulf of Mexico. I had never been, even though I've lived only four hours away from it for the past two years. The ocean has never been one of my favorite things (or any large body of water, for that matter), mainly because I have this talent for nearly drowning. For instance, when I was about ten I managed to get caught in an undertow when the water was only up to my knees. If someone were not standing right beside me at the time, I would've been sucked out to sea. Fun, right?

One of my biggest concerns when I travel, though, are the germs. After standing in the Gulf, for instance, one of the first things I wanted to do was wash off my legs. Not only was I unhappy about the sand getting into the crevices of my skin, but I was terrified that I was going to sick. I have caught illnesses from being in the water before, though it more often happens in places like pools or lakes. There were no water spigots on the beach, though, so I had to wait until I got home. The first thing I did when I got inside, though, was hop in the tub and wash off my legs. I think people don't realize how frightening water can be, but most of the worst illnesses I've caught have been waterborne. Scary stuff.

No comments: