Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Missing Link

When people give me funny looks in the grocery store or whisper behind my back, I don't think much of it. Not anymore, at least. Growing up with a rare skin condition makes life, well, different. I would imagine few of you have had people take one look at you and declare, "You have no right to live." Sadly, I have had people do that to me. Not the best experience in the world, but not the worst either. I look at my skin as an opportunity rather than a curse, which has made it a lot easier to live with.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with me (or my skin), let me give you the "debriefing." I have a genetic condition called ichythosis. Or, rather, I have a form of it called epidermolytic hyperkeratosis. To give you an idea of what my skin looks like, here is a little video I made during undergrad introducing my skin.



This month is very exciting for me, because it is Ichthyosis Awareness Month. What this means is that people all around the world are going to celebrate and share their stories about living with ichthyosis. Awesome, right? I am going to try to get on board as much as I can. Unfortunately, due to graduation and moving 1800 miles this month, I won't be able to participate in the fundraisers and such going on around the country. But, I wanted to do what I could to help. So, each day I am going to try to write a blog post sharing an experience, however short, related to my skin disorder. For instance, tomorrow I am going to tell you about what it's like to teach with ichthyosis. I am going to try to do this all through May. Fingers crossed!

My story for today is going to be very short: The only time I got a sunburn. All my life, I have marveled at people who have turned various shades of red when left out in the sun for too long. From the lobsters to the blushers, I was fascinated that their skin changed color - that they could burn. I had never, in all my life, experienced anything remotely like it. My skin disorder makes it so I can't burn: it's too thick. One week, though, I spent almost all my waking hours outside. As usual, I did not use sunscreen - never have, since my skin doesn't allow uv rays to go deep enough to be a problem. At the very end of the week, I looked in the mirror and noted (with pleasure) that the very tip of my nose was a bright pink. I had burned! (Almost.) It was my very first sunburn, and I was proud of it. All that next week I showed people my burn, even as it faded away. I've still yet to burn again, and part of me is somewhat grateful for that. After all, sunburns sure look painful!

1 comment:

Ashley Rose said...

I am so glad that you are sharing your experiences! I have always been curious to learn more about this. Back in high school, I didn't really want to talk to you about it because I didn't want to come across as rude or disrespectful and I didn't know how to approach you about it. Those years...are tough. People get teased for just about anything, and I never wanted you to think that I was...I don't know. Mean? If I'm being honest, I think there was also a bit of fear there. I was afraid because I didn't understand. There was a boy in my second grade class that (I'm pretty sure) had this same skin condition. I was scared of him, but I always made an effort to be nice because other kids teased him. And I didn't want him to think everyone hated him. He was a nice kid. But I was still afraid... :-) Building awareness is key to neutralizing that fear - I applaud you!