Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Longest Weekend On Record

“I came back and Kirstin was sitting on the couch telling her fingers not to argue...while watching The Wedding Planner.” At least, that was Derek's story that he happily told people Monday night.

To say that he was right would be admitting insanity, which I would never do, but in all honesty I think it fair to defend my side of the very, very, very long weekend.

Juniper was a barren wasteland. Once in a while, in passing, I would see a stray copy of the University Journal roll across the floor and a wind would whistle through the empty terrain. There were no signs of life, and I was entirely alone. Well...almost alone.

Saturday dawned bright and clear, but I was fast asleep in my nice warm bed (and remained so until it was much too late in the day). It wasn't my stomach began to yell at me in less than subtle ways that I finally rolled out of bed and faced what had to be the longest day in my life: a day where I was all but abandoned. Yes, my friends, for the first time since school had began I was to be without my faithful partners in crime because of one show: Crimes of the Heart. Ah, but I digress. We were at the point where I finally decided to stop being a lazy bum. As it was, I managed to get out of bed and wandered over to the local cafeteria to eat, and discovered it was closed. I was very sad.

It was in that moment of great need that I decided it was time for a quest! I bounced back to my room to grab my keys and liscence (wouldn't want to get pulled over, after all) before dashing down to my awaiting charriot, which is also known as The Boat or The Crown Vic. Soon I found myself wandering listlessly through the vast aisles of Wal-mart wondering to myself just what it was I had hoped to find in the giant soul-consuming building. I shrieked with glee when I reached the ice cream aisle and happened to discover that, against all odds, Wal-mart carried my favorite flavor of Breyer's ice cream in the universe: Brownie Mud Pie. When I came out of Wal-mart it wasn't with something for lunch, as I had intended, but instead with a shirt and a carton of ice cream. Clearly this failure would not suffice.

So I jumped into my Crown Victoria and began to drive in the vague direction of Main Street. It didn't take me too long to realize that there was a grocery store there, and so I decided to take a chance to explore it. The exterior wasn't very promising with the faded red lettering reading Lin's Market Place and the rather lackluster wood roofing that didn't quite compare to the commercial gloriousness of Wal-mart, but my exploration was not to be unrewarded. This rather unamazing building, you see, gives a 10% discount to any students with valid I.D. includes a sticker for the current term, and I was able to walk out with two things of Swedish meatballs and three york peppermint patties for just over half what it would have cost me in the great and spacious location I had been wandering so listlessly through before.

With a smile on my face I made it back to Juniper, and the rest of the weekend was a very...quiet affair. It wasn't until Saturday night when I was coming back from doing the show—and I was singing quite happily without regard for the empty rooms—when I discovered that I had been in company all along. Liybie, a girl at the other end of the hall, poked her head out of her room when she heard me singing and gave a brief greeting before disappearing once more. I was astonished—no, I was astounded. I had gone two days without major human contact, and she had been there all along! Through the course of the weekend I saw her about...two or three times more, but beyond that I was on my own.

Until Derek showed up.

I was sitting on the couch watching The Wedding Planner cuddling with a blanket—JC300's hallway and lobbey are very cold currently—when suddenly he appeared on the couch next to me. Rather happy for the fact I had someone to talk to I tossed my blanket to the side and pounced on Derek. Snuggling him I informed him how happy I was that he was there and told him all about the quiet that had afflicted the entirety of the dorms all weekend long. Somehow or another he managed to keep my entertained, and when Amberle came home my world was at long last looking up.

Yes, I am just that dramatic.

Monday was, for the first time in recorded history, a promising day. I knew that people would be coming back all day, and that things would finally come back to laugh. All day I watched with glee as people appeared, and I don't think I have ever been that happy to see even the people who annoy the crap out of me. The only down side of Monday was that work caused me to miss Heroes again, and I think I may have to buy the dvd for season two just so I know what the crap happened. I'm sad that I always miss it...

But hey, welcome back SUU! The break without you was painstakingly long! And now...I am going to go catch some z's before I crash on my computer. Night!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, Kirstin. When you miss an episode of Heroes, you can just watch it online. NBC allows you to watch it for free on their website.

Kirstin said...

Thanks Josh. ^^ I have a feeling I am going to frequent their website this year. *hugs*

Cliche Horror Film said...

I hear from my sources that yesterday was your birthday, missy.
Hope it was a good one. =]

Kirstin said...

It was! Thanks dearest!