Friday, September 5, 2008

Becoming One With The Universe

So I never thought the day would come when I was doing yoga on a weekly basis. Honestly, I think this may be one giant hint from the universe that I may need to just take a yoga class next semester.

You see, last week in my creative writing class (yes, you read that right) we did yoga in order to open up our senses. It was very nifty and relaxing, and I was a much happier person throughout the day (even in math class). What was particularly fascinating, though, was the fact I felt more grounded, even though it had only been a very short session. I had never thought of applying meditation and stretching to creative writing, but looking back I now see the connection as being obvious. Your mind needs to be centered and calm in order to work at its best, and yoga helps with that.

What really stunned me, though, was when I got to my acting I class this morning and the teacher went straight into yoga. We stretched, and zenned, and melded with the floor for an hour. He then told us that as actors we have to be able to focus and empty our minds even in the most chaotic of situations. Yoga apparently helps with that, too. All I know is that I am sitting on a bench just after acting I, and I feel pretty dang good. Oh, that baby cobra position might have made my muscles sore, and I certainly hated the part where we were on our knees... But my mind feels better.

I guess I'll just have to look into doing some yoga on my own until I can get into a class next semester. After all, as an actor and a writer I need to get in touch with myself and the universe as much and as well as possible.

3 comments:

Alison said...

yoga is amazing! I swear by it! (:

I love telling people that we did yoga in our creative writing class, it's so funny to watch their recations!

Rachel said...

Hey, I love random yoga sessions! I'm a little rusty, but completely game if you ever want a yoga partner.

Cliche Horror Film said...

My sister took a creative writing class last quarter!

See, I don't like yoga. I'm too fidgity and all it does it make me feel even more so...