Tuesday, September 30, 2008

They Say Inspiration Can Come From Anywhere...

Well, today I was sitting at school (while trapped there for two hours) when I was suddenly struck by an interesting idea. Of course, such a thing is not uncommon--ideas come from so many different places and things that I'm used to it. It was the nature of the idea that intrigued me, though. I had the clear impression that there was some work I needed to undertake, that I was neglecting something that was left specifically to me.

The true shape of the project didn't set in for another twenty minutes, though. On my way to the bathroom, after putting my briefcase beneath my chair in my choir class, I began to sing--without really noticing--the song I wrote about a year-and-a-half ago: Nephi's Psalm. Somehow or another, while I was getting a drink the lyrics of that song congealed with a scripture reference my mother had given me, Ammon's Psalm in Alma 26. It was then I realized that I needed to write songs for the major prophets of the Book of Mormon. My roommate knows a pianist with too much time on her hands, and I already have it all but figured out which ones I need to do. By the time I'm done I should have a full program's worth of songs, including a duet between Moroni and Mormon and a song where a contemporary person is joined by all of the prophets as they give their advice to the latter days.

It should be epic, but it will probably take me several months. Who knows, maybe I will post some of the lyrics up here as I get them done.

So, what do you think?

1 comment:

Sanders-swarm said...

I think that would be amazing! I know that you could do it. I want to be there for the first time!!!!